I have decided that meat + beer + crockpot is pretty much my favorite cooking trick. Or at least in my top ten. I use this same chicken to make quesadillas, but it is also awesome as a grilled cheese sandwich with buttery toasted bread.
Crockkpot Barbecue Beer Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
(makes 6 sandwiches)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts*
- 1 large onion; rough chopped
- 1 bottle of beer (I used Sam Adams Boston Lager)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (use your favorite--I used Sweet Baby Rays)
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons butter; softened
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Place chicken breasts in a crockpot with chopped onion. Pour in barbecue sauce and beer. Cook on low for six to eight hours.
*You can also use frozen chicken breasts. When I do, I cook on high for an hour and then switch to low for 6-8 hours.
Remove chicken breasts from the crockpot and shred them. Add the shredded chicken back into the sauce to keep warm.
Spread softened butter on slices of bread and sprinkle lightly with onion powder. Build the sandwich with a slice of cheese on both pieces of bread and a pile of shredded chicken in the middle. Grill sandwich on both sides until browned and toasty.