1. Last spring Mac's dad said he'd like to take Mac on a cruise that his family would be going on...so it's been planned for awhile.
2. But now it's next week...Mac leaves on a red-eye to Miami on Friday night.
3. Then he has to float on a boat for a week...which of course worries his scaredy-cat mother.
4. Especially because water is pretty much my #1 fear.
5. For instance I can only watch Titanic until they say "Iceberg straight ahead"
6. Thankfully there shouldn't be any icebergs in the Western Carribean.
7. Although considering the last trip with his dad, who knows what Mac will be up to as he travels the high seas.
9. So I have to admit I played pretend when I saw $99 fares to New York this morning...
10. Well I wasn't entirely pretending, but uber-responsible Sean kindly made sure that I was.
Oh my goodness was this one hour of fun...I found a poster (and more for Christmas gifts)...a little giftcard bag and blocks...a yellow felt rose clip...an adorable bird (really wanting an owl in the same shade of green)...and too much washi tape because I can never resist it.
We had the whole darn week and it still wasn't enough time to get it all done.
However I will concentrate on how much did get done, including this mess which was one of my finest ideas...
We tried to be very methodical about the decorations which included taking everything out and placing it on the dining room table. The simple act of being able to see everything at once instead of digging around in the boxes allowed all of this to be handled in less than an hour.
I joked with my brother tonight that the Christmas decorations are done (minus the ornaments on the tree) and miraculously Sean and I are still married.
Sean amended that we'll always stay married, but it's impressive that we got through it and are still happily talking to each other.
And now on to this week...
Tomorrow is Cyber Monday so I've been plotting some online shopping...I was excited to get this e-mail from Catslife Press tonight...
For Cyber Monday, we are offering Free Shipping AND 15% off for any retail order over $25 (including overseas)! Just mention "Cyber Monday" when placing your order. This offer is valid now through the end of Monday, November 29th, 2010
Anyone want stamps for Christmas? :)
I also thought I'd jump in on the Cyber Monday fun and offer a discount code for the shop...it'll be good on the last few sale items left in the shop and will expire when I upload new holiday tag kits late tomorrow. Use the code "CYBER" for an additional 20% off...
I'll be eager to share those holiday decorations soon...
This week's favorites...
Half the side dishes are made...the house is rearranged a little to make plenty of room for extra guests...and another simple version of napkin ring/place cards are all crafted up.
I have to admit my heart is kind of heavy tonight though. I screwed up last week and said something that I shouldn't have. Now there is some fall out in my family that I can't seem to fix quite yet, despite trying. It would be insincere of me to talk about trying to make cute napkin rings and just leave it at that.
As always, Thanksgiving is my very favorite holiday so I'm hopeful it will be a day full of blessings and togetherness...and that I can keep my big mouth shut.
1. A couple of weeks ago I wished for a rainy day where everything is completely checked off the to-do list and I could crochet while watching television and make the layout that had been sitting on my desk for weeks...
2. My wish came true on Saturday.
3. And I got to make another layout yesterday...it's like I'm a scrapbooker or something.
4. The only thing is I still have to-do's hanging over my head...but I won't bore you with them.
5. Okay just one...an annotated bibliography (which I've never done before) that requires reading & summarizing 15 journal articles and 3 books.
6. My summary of the annotated bibliography is that it's no fun whatsoever.
7. But I should not be complaining about anything since we all have the week off around here...we have enough time to get plenty of stuff done.
8. For instance we took time this afternoon to make two desserts just because we wanted to try them.
9. One of them was Pumpkin Cream Pie.
10. We also are busily preparing Christmas decorations...but it's a covert operation as to not disregard Thanksgiving. So we might have an assembled Christmas tree, but it's patiently waiting in the garage until Friday.
Here's what I loved this week...
Little tag holiday tag kit grab bags will be available starting on Monday (again the only way to get the whole shebang is to purchase a class kit) .
Everything currently in the shop is now over 50% off...now is the time to stock up (and please help me clear out).
My goal is to eventually design and put together other little tag kits for the next few weeks. As we get closer to the holidays I will create a few sets that will be pre-made and ready to tie onto gifts.
If you have any other requests please feel free to let me know.
(the photo is part of the little tag book that will be hanging on the class gift boxes)
1. I had my whole life pretty nicely organized and then I got a little extra busy...funny when you need organization the most you let it slide.
2. For instance meal planning...I've been winging it for the last two weeks.
3. I watched my nieces today for a few hours...Matilda and I played about a dozen rounds of bocce ball in our entryway...the only way it would have been better is if there was a food table like the last time I played bocce.
4. There was also was a diaper incident right before my sister came to pick them up. I won't go into detail, but here are some of the words involved. MaryJane. Blow-out. Carpet. Clothing. Toys. Kitchen Counter.
5. Don't ask about the last one, but oh my goodness were my sister and I laughing.
6. Thank you for all the sweet comments about Friendsgiving...it makes me want to have big get-together with all of you. How fun would a blog dinner party be?
7. The CD went to comment #31
Ann said...Like you, the table is full of warmth, style and personality! I would adore having the CD! Pick me, please! November 15, 2010 at 05:34 PM
8. Someone asked for the playlist and I'm more than happy to share...
9. The holiday tag preparations are almost complete and there are still a couple spots open in case you'd like one of the last kits. (the store is happy to ship them too)
10. I finally broke out the Christmas wrapping supplies (crazy as it is, I'm usually even earlier than this) I wrapped up prizes for this Friday's class...
Having a teenager makes me an anomaly since now pretty much all of my friends have little kids.
It's to the point where I have actually thanked my sister for having three adorable children in less than three years. It allows me to live vicariously through the parenting and have a remote chance at offering something in conversations with my friends about all of these little kids.
So on Friday night we had our annual Friendsgiving and no one brought their little kids. During dinner it was mentioned numerous times how nice it was not to have to chase anyone around or worry about anything...just eat and talk without a care in the world.
I was really happy for them, but again I'm the anomaly. I don't have to chase McIntosh and I can just eat and talk with him and not have a care in the world. Now granted I worry about everything with him, but that's a post for another time.
So I discovered this no-little-kids event had one bonus detail for me...I could light candles with reckless abandon...on the table...around the dining room...on coffee tables.
The tealights were out in full force.
I would have gotten a photo of the house all glowy, but that would have taken a tripod set up shortly before everyone was arriving...and I had to make turkey gravy instead.
I do have photos of the table though...with some candles...and my version of place card/napkin rings...and little flower arrangements...oh and our wedding "china" (Crate & Barrel circa 1999)...
I mentioned the other day that I always make CDs for everyone to take home and I accidentally made one extra. I'd love to share it with my friends here...please leave a comment if you'd like it...
Thank you so much for all the "pick me"s...the random winning comment is #8
Kristen D. said...OK...pick me! :-) Pretty please!!!
November 12, 2010 at 02:13 PM
Kristen please e-mail your address so I can send the cards on their way to you.
I'll actually be back with another little giveaway later tonight...
Here are the favorites from this week...
Of course I stamped and made cards since that's pretty much all I know how to DIY...
When I made this set I tucked it into my storage box to giveaway...please leave a "pick me" if you'd like it...I'll do a random drawing late on Sunday evening.
Okay back to preparing for tonight's Friendsgiving...
If you know me, you probably know that I love the little things. This is why I love the tag class...so many cute little details.
I finished creating all the tags yesterday...ended up with nineteen different designs...
As I was proudly showing Sean last night he did the math on the punching involved for some of the tags ideas.
3 tags = 875 things that need to be punched
Darn those cute little details.
1. As of yesterday I am married to Coach Griffin for the rest of the year...which means I pick up the afternoon taxi shift for Mac and listen to numerous descriptions of what's going on with 7th grade boys basketball, then 8th grade girls basketball and finally track & field...none of which I entirely understand.
2. I only have one paper to write for school this week. I have celebrated by not writing it yet.
3. It's due tomorrow and it takes me forever to write so I'm really living on the edge here.
5. I have been making a playlist for the night that's burned onto a CD for everyone to take home...the cover has brown, yellow and gray which is my new favorite combination...
6. The color combo is also inspiring the napkin ring/place cards...here's what I have so far...
7. However to make only ten napkin ring/place cards with a simple strip of fabric I may have purchased about four yards of fabric including two shades of burlap...
8. Don't you hate when you have a hard time deciding?
9. Of course in this instance "deciding" means "Wow, I really like them all and it's always a good idea to have way too much brown floral fabric just waiting to be made into something...and it is on sale...and on top of that I get Sean's teacher discount..."
10. Good thing I'm married to Coach Griffin.
Sean and I watch college football all day on Saturdays...of course by "watch" I mean have it on in the background as we get a bunch of stuff done.
Occasionally we stop for a few minutes to sit down and watch and usually I'll crochet a little. That's what we did this past Saturday, but we drove to the Rose Bowl and watched in person.
And I may have crocheted a little...I figured if I do it at home while watching a game why can't I do it in the stadium?
Here's this week's favorites...
I would wish for an a day with no responsibility. Not a day where I simply avoid it, but one where everything is completely checked off the to-do list.
It would be cold and rainy.
I would catch up on favorite television shows in front of the fireplace while I crocheted.
And I would actually make the layout that's been sitting on my desk for well over a month.
I have to admit that day is not coming anytime soon so instead I'll be grateful...
Grateful to have this house to hold the five parties we'll have hosted in a four week span.
Grateful that I'm chugging along with school.
And today I am especially grateful that I have boxes and containers waiting to hide what needs to be done...so at least visually it feels like I'm on top of things.
So I mentioned on Tuesday that I bought light-up pumpkins for the front porch...pretty sure I had decided to bring them inside before the blog post even published.
The living room needed them...
I decided to use the simple banner I made last year on the chalkboard so we could write what we're thankful for on there...
For example, I am thankful for cute glowing pumpkins...
1. Halloween came down on Sunday night before we went to bed because it is time for turkeys.
2. Thanksgiving has always been my favorite...
4. My favorite cutesy Thanksgiving sign is out on the porch too (here's a photo of it from way back when). I love being pointed in the direction of pumpkin pie and naps.
5. In fact I could really go for some pie and a nap right now.
6. Of course the week that I am even more excited about all things fall-ish Southern California decides to get close to 100 degrees again.
7. There's also more Christmas excitement...class sign-ups should start this week...
8. Okay one more photo because I kind of love tag details...
9. And finally a little reminder...
10. Unless you're my sister and you vote for the opposing party. Then it's okay if you forget.
Wednesday/Thursday: Two Sauce Weeknight Lasagna Bowls...trying it for the first time
Saturday: I usually make a Sleepin' in Omelette for breakfast after the sleepover but I'm thinking I might try Make-Ahead Muffin Melts. Then Sean and I go out to the Rosebowl for the UCLA v. Oregon State game and we're packing a Turkey, Cranberry and White Cheddar Sandwich